Welcome

This blog covers my 2010 bicycle trip from Costa Mesa, California to Savannah, Georgia over 27 days and 2,900 miles (assuming I don't get lost). If you are new to blogs, the most recent posts are at the top; start from the bottom (and last page) and read up to see the posts in chronological order. I am riding with a company (America by Bicycle) that specializes in long distance bicycle trips.

In April of 2009, I completed the first leg of this trip from Costa Mesa to Albuquerque, New Mexico, which was 840 miles over 7 days. It was easily the most difficult physical challenge I had ever attempted. I pushed myself harder than I ever imagined I could. Along the way, I learned a tremendous amount and met some really great people. The staff and fellow riders were an incredible group of cyclists.

One of the things I learned with the 2009 ride was that I needed to train harder to enjoy a fast-paced cross-country bike trip - as opposed to just surviving it. I live in Bermuda - an island that is only 21 miles long and about 1 mile wide. It is difficult to get in the 350+ miles per week that you need to average to get in shape. But that is not an excuse... I just have to accept the fact that I'm going to get dizzy going around this island so many times.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Day 18 Conway AR (125 miles)

The rest day was perfect... but too short.

Weather here in Arkansas is clear skies and record high (or near record high) temps.  We hit about 90 today.  This area was drenched a few days ago, and evidence is all around.  Ditches by the road are still partly full of water.  And everything is really green.  Roads around Fort Smith are better than Oklahoma; many of them are freshly paved or in the process of being paved.

Our trip out of Fort Smith this morning was in rush hour traffic (again... yes, they do have a rush hour).  Like every other morning that is clear, we were biking into the rising sun.  We encountered a fair amount of road construction coming out of town... always a bit of a challenge.  Today, I got the early leap and was out front for about the first 20 miles.  When I was caught, it was a paceline led by Russ and he said "hop on" as he flew past me.  It was just a four-man group, and I accelerated to catch the last rider... Wolfgang (aka, the long-legged-beauty).  The paceline is a wonderful thing if you can catch it and hang on.  I was going about 25% faster with about the same amount of effort as biking alone.  My spirits soared.  The best thing about a fast paceline?  It's fast.  We biked that way to the first SAG, which was about 18 miles further down the road.


Despite yesterday's massage (with emphasis on my left quads), my left thigh was screaming at me for about the first 20 miles - or about the point at which I grabbed the paceline.  Suddenly, it went fairly quiet.  There was a pain underneath my left knee, but the thigh was much better.

After the SAG, the size of the paceline grew.  I hung on for about 10 miles, until it was my turn at the pull (riding out front).  As usual, I over did it and got dropped when my turn was over.  I've gotten so much faster that I don't mind at all when I get dropped.  These guys are all a couple of levels (or more) above me.  If you don't get out there and push yourself, you're not going to get any better.  Riding alone is not bad at all.  However, shortly afterwards, I had another flat.  I'm pretty good at changing tubes, and Team Leader Mike is really good at showing up in the van right when I could use a floor pump (as opposed to my tiny mini-pump).

Right after I changed the flat, I caught up with Rick (four flats on Monday Rick) and we spent the rest of the day riding together.  We picked up riders and dropped riders throughout the day, but the two of us stayed together.  Not killer fast, but moving along at a good clip.  We even slowed down enough at points to carry on a conversation (something that is usually reserved for breakfast, SAGs and dinner).

Arkansas is pretty.  It looks a bit like the Carolinas - at least the section we rode today.  We are seeing brick homes for practically the first time all trip.  We rode past a few lakes and ponds - all very full.  Roads are pretty good... but there are sections where you're riding right on that white line.


The final SAG of the day was in the small town of Morrilton, and Barbara had set up next to a train depot and under trees.  By this point in the day, it was getting seriously hot. Chairs were out (something we normally do only at lunch), and I could take off my shoes and relax in the shade.  I had been getting a case of hot foot.   From the final SAG to the hotel was "only" 20 miles, so there wasn't a lot of stress to get going.

For dinner, Rick, David and I hit a Ruby Tuesdays and then it was off to the Walmart next door.  Arkansas is the corporate home of Walmart.  This one was huge, but not anything special.  Perhaps a bit cleaner than others.  At dinner, we discussed why we came on this trip.  It will vary somewhat from rider to rider, but one common theme seems to be: to say we biked across the US in 27 days.  It is a tough, tough challenge.  We have some serious overachievers in this group who are up to a challenge (and then we have me).  Seeing the US is a secondary perk.

Sixteen days of biking done and only nine to go. Tomorrow is supposed to be another hot one, but we will probably dodge the rain again.  I have no doubt that it will catch us before we reach the coast.  Everyone is pretty sore.  Numb fingers, hands and feet.  Over half the riders have some elements of saddle sores.  Sunburnt lips.  Pulled hamstrings.  Tight quads.  Aching necks and backs.  The only rider who looks like they just arrived is Jay.  And I'm beginning to think he has been genetically altered.

1 comment:

  1. You go, Mike! What a fabulous trip. I am so proud just to know you! Every day sounds like such an adventure. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    I'm at the Milliman Annual Meeting (San Diego) with a few people you'd remember. Pat, Chris, John H., Phil. We've been having some laughs and I realize how long I've known a lot of these guys! And you too. But you make me the proudest of all. Keep the pace, I can't wait to hear more....

    ReplyDelete