Welcome

This blog covers my 2010 bicycle trip from Costa Mesa, California to Savannah, Georgia over 27 days and 2,900 miles (assuming I don't get lost). If you are new to blogs, the most recent posts are at the top; start from the bottom (and last page) and read up to see the posts in chronological order. I am riding with a company (America by Bicycle) that specializes in long distance bicycle trips.

In April of 2009, I completed the first leg of this trip from Costa Mesa to Albuquerque, New Mexico, which was 840 miles over 7 days. It was easily the most difficult physical challenge I had ever attempted. I pushed myself harder than I ever imagined I could. Along the way, I learned a tremendous amount and met some really great people. The staff and fellow riders were an incredible group of cyclists.

One of the things I learned with the 2009 ride was that I needed to train harder to enjoy a fast-paced cross-country bike trip - as opposed to just surviving it. I live in Bermuda - an island that is only 21 miles long and about 1 mile wide. It is difficult to get in the 350+ miles per week that you need to average to get in shape. But that is not an excuse... I just have to accept the fact that I'm going to get dizzy going around this island so many times.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day 25 Perry GA (100 miles)

The day started in Columbus GA, and this town is looking pretty good.  It's got something going on.  It is a little bit like Greenville SC, which is a great little town and biking community. 

The day started pretty much as normal, but I was running a little behind.  Jay was going to ride sweep, so I waited for him.  As did Russ and David.  I found out today that Russ raced professionally in Europe.  I've said it about a dozen times before... we have a very serious group of cyclists on this trip.  The trip through downtown was great... not a lot of rush hour traffic.  Before you know it, we're on this multi-use (mainly biking) trail that runs parallel to the Chattahoochee River.  It is incredible.  It is Disney clean.  I kept expecting a fresh-faced kid in a uniform to come out and ask me for my Fast Pass.  Russ set a pretty fast pace, and we caught up with the rest of the riders right when the trail ended (about mile 12).


When the trail ends, it drops you off at Fort Benning and another trail through the base begins.  I can't remember the last time I've been on a military base.  It was super clean and really nice.  Beautiful tree-lined streets.  Big homes.  Golf courses.  Tanks.  Sniper training.  Just your typical suburban neighborhood.

Getting off the base was actually a bit more difficult than getting on the base due to construction, but we managed.  And the great part was that we did it all as one big group. I love it when all 15 riders can ride together, or in close proximity.  But we began to break up once we were off the base.  We were riding on a four-lane divided highway with a minimal shoulder.  That meant single file riding.  At a fast pace.  It was a little dicey - but only lasted about 4 miles.

We turned onto a more rural, but still busy, two-laned road.  I'm from Georgia and have a definite bias.  I thought the state was putting on its best face.  Road surfaces were great.  Country side was gorgeous.  Hardly any dogs.  And minimal roadkill.  We didn't have a proper shoulder, but we had about 18 inches right of the white line.  Widen that by another foot or two, and you'd have a real bike lane.  The state is looking good.

The rollers from Alabama continued and were taking their toll on my body.  I managed to stay with the faster riders, but just barely.  The first SAG was at mile 42, and I was in pain.  My right knee felt like it had swollen to the size of a volleyball.  And I had a new pain.  I found Rick at the SAG (Rick is a MD) and asked him what a hernia felt like.  After "Turn your head and cough" and "Was that really necessary here in the parking lot", we decided that it was most likely just a pulled groin muscle.  So I got that going for me.  I'm falling apart all over.

The long ride to the second SAG is where I got dropped.  We were on this long straight road, and you could see the hills rise and fall well into the distance.  We had a slight headwind that was coming straight down the road into our faces.  I knew it was a headwind, because every time I spat off the front of my bike, it came back and hit me in the face.  Between the hills, headwind and the pain, I was slowing down.

As I entered the town of Ellaville, I decided I needed something for the pain.  And I was very thristy.  And I could use a candy bar.  I took a turn down Main Street and found a convenience store.  I got Tylenol, a Mountain Dew and a Zero bar. Ok... if you ever want a little pick-me-up, go into a rural convenience store in the South dressed in Lycra and wait for the first person to ask you if you're in a race.  You simply tell them that you're biking across the country in 27 days, and wait for the outpouring of support.  It is incredible.  "NO WAY!" "YOU'RE KIDDING!" "GEE WHIZ!" I now know what Charles Lindbergh must have felt like when he landed in France. 

I'm not sure if it was the candy bar, Mountain Dew, Tylenol or accolades... but my knee pain, groin pull and half a dozen other injuries all disappeared within 3 miles of leaving that convenience store.  Why hadn't I figured this out on day one?   I spent a little bit too long in that store and most of the riders had passed me.  As I keep saying.... this isn't a race.  However, the other riders do not seem to know this.  Despite the fact that I have fallen behind, I'm feeling a whole lot better and biking faster. 

I come to this particularly confusing spot on the road and route sheet.  The intersection has been completely redesigned and doesn't match the directions.  I'm about to take a left when I see Randy biking towards me from that direction.  I follow his lead and go straight.  Within minutes, I am doubting myself.  Randy is one of the riders with that fancy GPS system, and he is continuously getting lost.  Why am I following him? I slow down a bit; Randy continues at full force.  We're entering the town of Montezuma, and this definitely isn't on the route sheet.  Then, the one thing any (potentially) lost cyclist wants to see happens.   I spot three other cyclists that are standing in a parking lot looking confused.  Best yet... one of them is on his cell phone.  We sort it out and collectively find the lunch SAG.

I leave the lunch SAG on my own and heads towards Perry, a town on the interstate.  It is only 22 miles away. The sky is perfectly clear.  The road is smooth.  Hardly any traffic.  And the hills have practically melted away.  Sure, it is hot as all blazes and the humidity coats me like a blanket, but this is the part of the country where I first really started biking.  And this is how I have always imagined biking to be.  The route sheet takes us off the highway and onto some back country roads for no reason other than to show us the "real" country.  A farmer in a pickup slows down, beeps his horn and waves "hello".  It is so good to be home.

I'm about 15 miles from the motel.  This is the point in the day where I'm always thinking about a shower.  But for the first time all trip at this point in the day, I'm really enjoying the ride.  I mean... I'm seriously having a big time.  I'm in no hurry for it to end.  I don't know if it is because we're getting close to Savannah... or because I'm back in familiar territory... or because there is no pain... or what; but, I feel great.  Don't get me wrong - there have been a boatload of times that I'm enjoying the ride.  They just aren't the first thing on my mind at 15 miles from the motel.


I reach the motel, and half a dozen bikers are in the lobby.  The motel staff has bottled water, Gatorade and granola bars waiting for us. We have all gotten in before 3pm and are content to sit around discussing the ride.  There are no easy days on this ride; but some are less hard than others.

Jay, Jim, Randy and myself hit a Longhorns for dinner.  The last time I ate at Longhorns was in Tuscaloosa with the family and I rode great the next day.  I ordered the same thing I had that night.  We went back to the motel where we had a tee-shirt swap with the rest of the riders - lot of laughs.  Afterwards, Karen, Jay and I walk up to the Dairy Queen.  The benefits of burning an extra 4,000-5,000 calories per day.

Just two more days of riding.  As I feared... I'm already getting all nostlagic.

No comments:

Post a Comment