Welcome

This blog covers my 2010 bicycle trip from Costa Mesa, California to Savannah, Georgia over 27 days and 2,900 miles (assuming I don't get lost). If you are new to blogs, the most recent posts are at the top; start from the bottom (and last page) and read up to see the posts in chronological order. I am riding with a company (America by Bicycle) that specializes in long distance bicycle trips.

In April of 2009, I completed the first leg of this trip from Costa Mesa to Albuquerque, New Mexico, which was 840 miles over 7 days. It was easily the most difficult physical challenge I had ever attempted. I pushed myself harder than I ever imagined I could. Along the way, I learned a tremendous amount and met some really great people. The staff and fellow riders were an incredible group of cyclists.

One of the things I learned with the 2009 ride was that I needed to train harder to enjoy a fast-paced cross-country bike trip - as opposed to just surviving it. I live in Bermuda - an island that is only 21 miles long and about 1 mile wide. It is difficult to get in the 350+ miles per week that you need to average to get in shape. But that is not an excuse... I just have to accept the fact that I'm going to get dizzy going around this island so many times.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Day 2 Blythe CA (137 miles, 2510 feet)

Today started out beautiful in Palm Springs.  Weather couldn't have been better - a little crisp and perfectly clear.  At lugguge load, I did my usual trick and slipped out just a little before everyone else.  This ride isn't a race by any means, but being out front is good for the spririt. Hall of Fame baseball player, Yogi Berra, once said "baseball is 95% mental; and the other half is physical".  Not sure those proportions hold exactly the same for biking, but it is basically the same. 

The neighborhoods of Palm Springs are gorgeous.  Our route took us down numerous streets including Dinah Shore Blvd and Frink Sinatra Drive.  I was able to stay out front until mile 27, when a speeding paceline of 4 riders caught me.  Jay (a rider from last year as well), dropped off and paced me into the first SAG stop at mile 48.  Not only is Jay an excellent and fast cyclist, he has an infectious upbeat attitude that makes him a joy to be around.  Those 21 miles riding together flew by; we were averaging around 20 mph.



After that first SAG, things began to get rather tough.  This section of the ride claimed all but three riders last year (we survived, but just had to ride in the van).  Last year's temps were over 100.  By this point today, we were in the 90's. We enter into an other-worldly barren box canyon and begin a 2000 foot ascent that seems to go on forever.  The heat, dry air and the climb really took its toil on me.  When I finished with the climb, it was onto Interstate biking.  I limped into the lunch SAG (mile 67) as the last rider.  I was suffering from a condition known as "hot foot".  Basically, the pressure of biking so much was causing my foot to go numb.  The pedals are pushing so hard on nerves in the foot that it feels like the foot is on fire with each downward stroke.  Taking off my shoes, sitting down and getting some rest did help.  But all too soon, I was back on the road (lunch stops are only about 20 minutes).


Back on interstate, we had a respite with the winds shifting to our rear; we also had some downhill riding as a reward for all of that climbing.  However, all good things come to an end, and the wind turned hitting us from the front and side.  I hit the wall at mile 110 - or thereabouts.  The final SAG was at only at mile 116, but I had dropped to a crawl despite the efforts of Pacific Mike and Dick to pace me in.  The SAG was at an interstate rest stop.  It was off with the shoes and down on the concrete floor with my feet elevated.  Now my legs started cramping.  And even though I was lying flat on the ground, it took me two minutes to get my head on the ground - I was locked into a permanent riders' crouch.  I was a site.

It was only 21 miles to the hotel from that last SAG, but I was in a painful place.  I limped in those last 21 miles on pure determination and at a touring pace - about 12 mph.  9 hours, ten minutes of biking.  That is over nine hours of sitting on a bike and cranking the pedals.  I was covered in salt.  I had lost the feeling in part of my left hand and right foot.  I couldn't stand straight when I walked into the hotel.  It had been the hardest ride of my life, but I made it. 

It is now after midnight and I'm doing my laundry.  One of the perks of a trip like this is that when the day of riding is over, you get to do chores.  Clean water bottles, wash clothes, work on the bike, etc.  While I am so glad I was able to finish today, I fear that I may have put myself into a deficit position.  I never thought lying in bed could be so painful.  I have purposefully omitted discussing the pain in my seat - but let's just say it is a sensitive subject.

On a positive note, the rider who went to the hospital yesterday is back and biking as much as he can daily.  Not sure that he can ride all the way to Savannah, but it is good to have him back.  Unfortunately, another rider went to the hospital last night suffering from severe dehydtration.  He is a very good and tough rider.  I have no doubt we'll see him back. 

The staff and other past riders have assured me that these first seven days are the hardest physically.  The heat, dry air, altitude and long mileage force you into shape.  This time last year, Jane asked me how much fun I was having.  "Nearly some" was my reply.  The staff, other riders and sense of accomplishment make it worthwhile.  Again, the e-mails and comments have been so encouraging.  I said it was determination that got me through those last 21 miles today, but it was really the thought of everyone's support that pushed me on. Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Mike,
    Perhaps when I called you "Bike" in my earliest years, I was foreshadowing your future! Good Luck!
    With love,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to reading your blog each evening, and you're doing a great job of keeping us on edge..... Hang in there, listen to your body, and have a safe ride!

    ReplyDelete