Welcome

This blog covers my 2010 bicycle trip from Costa Mesa, California to Savannah, Georgia over 27 days and 2,900 miles (assuming I don't get lost). If you are new to blogs, the most recent posts are at the top; start from the bottom (and last page) and read up to see the posts in chronological order. I am riding with a company (America by Bicycle) that specializes in long distance bicycle trips.

In April of 2009, I completed the first leg of this trip from Costa Mesa to Albuquerque, New Mexico, which was 840 miles over 7 days. It was easily the most difficult physical challenge I had ever attempted. I pushed myself harder than I ever imagined I could. Along the way, I learned a tremendous amount and met some really great people. The staff and fellow riders were an incredible group of cyclists.

One of the things I learned with the 2009 ride was that I needed to train harder to enjoy a fast-paced cross-country bike trip - as opposed to just surviving it. I live in Bermuda - an island that is only 21 miles long and about 1 mile wide. It is difficult to get in the 350+ miles per week that you need to average to get in shape. But that is not an excuse... I just have to accept the fact that I'm going to get dizzy going around this island so many times.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Day 13 Elk City OK (100 miles)

I woke up in Pampa TX to the sound of howling winds outside of my motel room.  Just what direction?  We had a late load - 7:30am.  Practically a day off.  I'm sleeping better; a good 7 hours or more per night.  Exhaustion has won out over the fear of the next day's ride.  I did wake up about 1am with throbbing thighs.  The trick is to lay on the floor and put your legs up against the wall - or, in this case, lay in the bed and put my legs up against the headboard.  It lets the blood flow down.  Not a terribly comfortable position, but I went back to sleep like that.

The temp this morning was 48.  But with a 30mph wind, it felt like 12.  All this cold weather; and it is almost May.  When is it going to warm up?  With all of my riding in Bermuda, I thought I was halfway decent at biking in hot, humid weather.  However, after biking in the freezing cold, snow and sleet, I've come to realize something altogether different.  I'm really, really good at the PlayStation.  What the hell am I doing out here?!

Our route today took us south back into town, straight into the headwind.  We left sort of as a group - but some of the faster riders got a jump.  I took off to catch up with them.  I wanted to get back into the pack.  There's safety in numbers.  Big ones look after little ones. And... to avoid confusion... in this case, I'm a little one. 

Randy was also a little late leaving and I hopped onto his wheel.  The trip back into town was only 3 miles, but it was a long, cold three miles.  Especially when you're all in shorts.  We caught the group at a stop light where we turned east.  The blasting headwind became a blasting crosswind.  We biked out of town at a pretty reasonable pace and eventually formed into a traditional paceline.  That is basically a single file with the rider at the front doing the brunt of the work.  When he get's tired, he peels back and rejoins at the end of the line.  It is then the next rider's turn.  There were seven of us.  One rider before it is my turn, we form the circular rotating paceline again.  We were making good time at an average speed of 22mph.  Very good considering the blasting crosswinds.

We continued like that until wind and steep hills separated us slightly.  We all made it to the first SAG at mile 33 effectively together.   We left a little more spread out, but hooked up again to form a paceline to the lunch SAG at mile 66.  Texas gave us a nice parting gift in the form of the smoothest road we've riden to date.  It was like silk and made riding so much better.  The pace got a little tough, and I dropped off.  But several of us met up at the OK state line, which was just about 5 miles from lunch.

After lunch, Paul, Brian, David and I set off for the final 32 miles to the hotel.  It was a straightforward paceline working at a nice clip.  Per caught up with us and the pace quickened.  I managed to hold on for about 20 miles, but the pace was just a little too fast.  In these pacelines, some guys are working at about 85% of their capacity, while others (me) are at 99%.  I can keep up, but it is a lot of work.  Whenever we top a hill after a long climb, it is easy to pick me out of the group.  I'm the only one gasping for breath.

"Hey dude.  You gonna live?"
"Probably ...[gasp]... not"

As we came into Elk City, I manage to catch the group due to traffic lights.  Once again, we met up with Route 66.  In fact, Elk City has a large Route 66 museum that I'd like to see some day.  Brian actually peeled off to take a look.  I'm comfortable running into a convenience store or fast food restaurant in Lycra, but walking around a museum in skin tight clothes is where I draw the line.  So I took a pass.

Scenery today was farmland.  Some of it even looked a little like south Georgia in places.  We hit another cattle feed lot and the smell was enough to knock me off of the bike.  The sky was clear and blue, but the real story was the wind.  The word all the cyclists use to describe it is "relentless".  It was coming from the south and we were heading east.  So that meant that it was in the right ear and out the left for most of the day.  Except when the road made a slight deviation north or south.  Then it was either a slight tailwind or a partial headwind.

I'm feeling pretty good these days.  My left thigh is sore when I push it... and that's what it takes to keep up with the front pack.  In the evenings, I'm exhausted and ache... but I've made it a point to go out to dinner with whatever group is headed out.  It is one of the best parts of the trip.  We got quite a group.

Tomorrow is 125 miles through the farmlands of OK.  It will be a lot of turns and navigation.  Then, on Sunday is our longest day... 145 miles.  That has got several of us worried.  We have another tough one on Monday, then a rest day on Tuesday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment