Welcome

This blog covers my 2010 bicycle trip from Costa Mesa, California to Savannah, Georgia over 27 days and 2,900 miles (assuming I don't get lost). If you are new to blogs, the most recent posts are at the top; start from the bottom (and last page) and read up to see the posts in chronological order. I am riding with a company (America by Bicycle) that specializes in long distance bicycle trips.

In April of 2009, I completed the first leg of this trip from Costa Mesa to Albuquerque, New Mexico, which was 840 miles over 7 days. It was easily the most difficult physical challenge I had ever attempted. I pushed myself harder than I ever imagined I could. Along the way, I learned a tremendous amount and met some really great people. The staff and fellow riders were an incredible group of cyclists.

One of the things I learned with the 2009 ride was that I needed to train harder to enjoy a fast-paced cross-country bike trip - as opposed to just surviving it. I live in Bermuda - an island that is only 21 miles long and about 1 mile wide. It is difficult to get in the 350+ miles per week that you need to average to get in shape. But that is not an excuse... I just have to accept the fact that I'm going to get dizzy going around this island so many times.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 1 Palm Springs CA (113 miles, 4214 feet)

Ever since I created this blog, I had hoped that Day 1's post would start with the phrase "what a difference a year makes".  Perhaps a more appropriate phrase would be "it's deja vu all over again".  No way you slice it, 113 miles on a bike in a single day is a long way.  And we had 4214 feet of climbing (I know... didn't mean much to me either until I started biking). And temps and winds were far from ideal.  But this is what I signed up for.

The first day activities start off with a ride down to Newport Beach where we dip our wheels in the ocean.  The idea is that we'll do the same thing once we reach Savannah.  Also, one rider is designated to wade out and collect a bottle of Pacific sea water that will be transported (in the van) to the Atlantic. I'm not too much for the ceremony thing and don't like to get sandy.  But I was selected to be the guy to wade out into the ocean.  I argued that it should be Pacific Mike, not Atlantic Mike... but no one cared.  So, today's ride started out sandy and wet.


I somehow managed to sneak off and get a jump on the rest of the riders.  Right after the dip, everyone was hanging around the restrooms, and I muttered something like "I'm going to see... how things are looking... up in Palm Springs".  That didn't last long, however, as at mile 8 the entire group (save one rider) flew past me in a paceline.  I could have jumped on to the end of the paceline, but dammit.... I left the Vespa at the house.

From time to time, I rode with a few riders that had fallen off the paceline.  But mainly, it was a day of solo riding.  I know the pace I need to keep so that I don't kill myself - or at least I think I know.  I shaved 2 hours off my total time from this ride last year.  I was still the last rider at the hotel.  This is really a strong group of riders.  As a side note, I will mention that one rider had to go to the hospital.  We hope he is better and can continue.

Scenery was spectacular.  Temps started in the mid-50's and the beach was shrouded in a fog.  By the time I reached the big climbs, temps were in the high 90's.  We had mild head winds, until we got close to Palm Springs where it turned into a slight tail wind.  We did a bit of interstate riding and it was the worse I've seen.  We're in a very urban environment and traffic was quite heavy for a Sunday.  I like the interstate biking much more once we reach the desolate areas of Arizona.


This day nearly killed me last year.  I feel so much better this year thanks to more training and a better attitude.  I would add that the tremendous support and encouragement from Jane has helped so much... but it was there last year as well.  I just am better positioned to use it now.  And I appreciate all the words of support from family and friends.  It means a lot.  Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mike, Sue told me about your trip and blog and wanted to shout out my encouragement. I'll be following the blog for sure.

    -Dave Rand

    ReplyDelete