Welcome

This blog covers my 2010 bicycle trip from Costa Mesa, California to Savannah, Georgia over 27 days and 2,900 miles (assuming I don't get lost). If you are new to blogs, the most recent posts are at the top; start from the bottom (and last page) and read up to see the posts in chronological order. I am riding with a company (America by Bicycle) that specializes in long distance bicycle trips.

In April of 2009, I completed the first leg of this trip from Costa Mesa to Albuquerque, New Mexico, which was 840 miles over 7 days. It was easily the most difficult physical challenge I had ever attempted. I pushed myself harder than I ever imagined I could. Along the way, I learned a tremendous amount and met some really great people. The staff and fellow riders were an incredible group of cyclists.

One of the things I learned with the 2009 ride was that I needed to train harder to enjoy a fast-paced cross-country bike trip - as opposed to just surviving it. I live in Bermuda - an island that is only 21 miles long and about 1 mile wide. It is difficult to get in the 350+ miles per week that you need to average to get in shape. But that is not an excuse... I just have to accept the fact that I'm going to get dizzy going around this island so many times.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 9 Las Vegas NM (138 miles, 7863 feet)

I can take 138 miles or 8000 feet of climbing.  But... please don't give me both on the same day.

Before I begin, just a quick word on my appearance.  In theory, we're burning about 4,000 - 5,000 extra calories a day by biking these distances.  You'd think that after biking about 850 miles over 7 days that I'd begin to slim down.  No.  I learned this last year when I returned from my 7 days of biking weighing the same as I left.  However, then I lost 6 pounds over the following week.  Then and now, my body is retaining lots of water.  My face is puffy.  I have huge bags under my eyes.  My fingers are swollen so much that is difficult to get the biking gloves off.  My feet, legs and knees are bloated. I'm a mess.  Team Leader Mike says that it is not until the third week that you start to notice positive changes.  On the plus side - even after four days of biking in head-to-toe gear, I still have a bitchin' biker's tan.

Albuquerque sits in a valley with a large range of mountains to the east. These mountains are visible all over the city and are quite stunning.  Unfortunately, we are headed east. So today meant that we had to get over the mountains.

We started out about 7am with the entire group from the hotel parking lot.  Temps were in the mid-40's.  For the first time in 4 days of biking, I was not wearing leg warmers.  We were biking in Monday morning rush hour traffic, so our route had us take advantage as many side streets as possible.  I led the procession, but Jay quickly took over because the knew the way out of town.  Jay has been on this trip (or parts thereof) half a dozen times.  So he has the route down pat.  Or so we thought.  Jay's navigation technique was to shout back to the group "Do we turn here?"  "OK... right or left?".

The climbing began while we were in the city.  Sort of gradual, but always there.  The traffic lights served to separate the group of 15 riders into a few smaller groupings.  I managed to stay with five fast riders, mainly thanks to the traffic lights.  I'd fall behind; they'd get stuck at a red light; I'd catch up.  That lasted for only about 8 miles until they shook me.  Biking in traffic can be challenging, and today's ride had some hairy moments.  You really have to have a good sense of your surroundings and good bike handling skills when you're navigating across five lanes of traffic to get in the left turn lane at 30mph.

Then the climbing began in earnest.  It was those 6-8% grades that really slow you down and wear away at you.  But the views were stunning.  After a couple of hours of this, we're up in the Ponderosa pines.  It's like that opening scene from the TV series, Bonanza.  You can see for miles and miles.  It is absolutely amazing how clear the air is when you remove most of the oxygen.

I'm biking solo.  Faster than some guys, but well behind the leaders.  At one point, Russ (this very good racing cyclist from NC) comes up beside me.  Have no idea why he was behind me to begin with - must have been a mechanical problem.  Anyway, the climb is not too bad - about 3%.  He passes me and I watch him just book up the road.  It is like he's in a car.  Everyone in this group (save me) is really fast.  As I learned on the first few days: it's not the heat, it's the humility.


We are rewarded with some incredible descents and I hit my high for the day:  45.4mph.  Pretty exhilerating considering the sheer drop to my right.  A few things happen when I hit those speeds.  First, I'm pedaling like crazy and get into a tuck position.  Second, I move to the center of my lane (I'm going as fast as a car, I'm taking the lane).  Third, my focus moves way down the road looking for any approaching obstacles.  I'm sure that one day a strategically placed rock or pothole will wipe my stupid grin right off my face, but until then....  As a side note, I only attempt these speeds when we are on empty roads.

I come into the tiny town of Madrid.  They filmed portions of  "Wild Hogs" there and it is a great artsy community.  It is a tradition on this trip to stop at a particular store and get sticky buns.  I'm behind (as usual) and elect to keep going to make up time.  I see the van, Jay and Karen in town.  I don't see other bikers, but I'm sure they are around.  Once out of Madrid, the climbing continues.  Jay and Karen come by, but there's no way I can keep up with their pace on such a steep incline.  I do catch up with them at a convenience store where we all stop to grab a quick snack.  We sit down and talk.  I'm feeling pretty good.  I'm ahead of all those riders back in Madrid.  And then they break the news.  Nobody stopped in Madrid except for them.  Now I'm way behind.

We hit the interstate, and it is a good wide shoulder.  However, a pesky headwind that we've had all day kicks up a notch.  Despite the headwind, the climbing and the fact that I'm dead last, I'm feeling good.  The rest day must have paid off.  I actually start to reel in a couple of riders, and even pace one into the lunch stop.  That SAG was at a firehouse and they were nice enough to let us use the facilities.  We had chairs out and the sun was shining.  Life was really good.

I take off shortly after Scott and Rick (a very good biker currently living in FL).  We are on a deserted frontage road with a good surface.  Both Scott and Rick have a healthy respect for the steep descents, and I fly past them on a beautiful section of downhill.  They watch me blast on past... and completely miss the turn to get back on the interstate.  I realize my mistake when the road I am on turns to a dirt road.  So now I had to turn around bike back uphill  - bonus miles (and they're the climbing variety).

I've had my fill of interstate biking by this point.  They were just a few too many hairy spots.  The exit and entrance ramps are particularly dicey and require special care.  However, this section of interstate is great.  Little traffic and (like I said) a nice wide and smooth shoulder.  The scenery is gorgeous.  The sky is crystal blue.  The only problem is that we're still climbing and fighting an increasing headwind.


Finally, the climbing stops ... but the headwind continues.  I'm not even hitting 20mph on downhill sections where I should be biking at 30+ mph.  Then I hear the familiar "Hey Mikey!".  It is Jay, Karen and Mike (team leader Mike) working a paceline.  I've paced behind Jay and Karen several times, and it is a thing of beauty.  They both have an incredible consistent and smooth pedal stroke that I try to emulate.  You may think that pedaling a bike is a simple task.  And it is.  But to be a good, fast, long-distance biker, you need a fairly fast cadence (pedaling speed) that you can turn out hour after hour.  Anyway, I decide to hop onto Karen's wheel for a few hundred yards.  To everyone's amazement, I hang with these guys for several miles.  Mike and Jay are taking turns at the front - running into the headwind.  Karen is third, and I'm right on her wheel.  We're traveling at about 22mph - not bad at all considering the headwind.  This is where the consistent pedal stroke is so important.  Our wheels are perhaps two inches apart.  If anyone in front hestitates on their stroke, that will lead to a reduction in speed and there is a very good chance that everyone behind will go down.  It is a rush, and once again, life is good.

I eventually lose them on a climb.  Mike waits behind to pull me back up to Jay and Karen.  It works for a while, but I'm pretty beat and I get dropped.  By this point, we've climbed about 7000 feet and biked about 100 miles - most of that into a headwind.  I'm back to biking solo, but I'm really liking my pace.  I catch up with Brian, whose got to be around 6'9" and been pounded by the wind.  There's no place for someone that tall to hide.  We ride together into the final SAG, which is about 113 miles into the day.  It is at a rest area on the interstate - no facilities, but we have a picnic table.  I can't begin to describe the way food gets wolfed down at these SAGs.  Cookies, pretzels, apple slices, bananas, granola bars, chips and trail mix.  Pretty soon it is Brian, Rick, Scott, Jay, Karen, Mike (TLM), Barbara and myself.  It is a beautiful day, despite the headwinds, and we're all joking around.

Eventually, we all take off - one-by-one.  It is solo biking, which is just as well since I start to feel pretty tired by about mile 125.  Rick, Brian and myself exit the interstate together at mile 133 and go in search of the hotel.  We don't go through the downtown of Las Vegas, but just skirt it.  It looks like that town has something going on - not like Winslow or Blythe.  We bike as a group through light traffic; not in any particular hurry.  We're all pretty beat.  The hotel is on the far side of town, and it feels great to finally get there.

I shower and change, then go back to see Jim.  He is going to change the cassette (gears) off of my old rear wheel onto my new rear wheel.  He's already done it before I get there.  Tomorrow, I'll be biking with two new wheels/tires instead of just a new front set.

As seems to be the tradition with this stop, we all order pizza.  It has been a tough day.  Mike says that it has been the toughest day of the trip and, barring some freakish weather, they should all be easier after this.  I'm sore and tired, but feel pretty happy.  It was a ridculously long day.  The morning seems like it was two days ago and in a different state.  Nearly ten hours in the saddle.  Can you believe it?  I was there and it is still hard to believe.  Although the pain helps to remind me.

As a closer, I will mention that I apologized to Jane for not sounding too upbeat in my postings.  She said, "If it was easy, it wouldn't be interesting."

No comments:

Post a Comment