Welcome

This blog covers my 2010 bicycle trip from Costa Mesa, California to Savannah, Georgia over 27 days and 2,900 miles (assuming I don't get lost). If you are new to blogs, the most recent posts are at the top; start from the bottom (and last page) and read up to see the posts in chronological order. I am riding with a company (America by Bicycle) that specializes in long distance bicycle trips.

In April of 2009, I completed the first leg of this trip from Costa Mesa to Albuquerque, New Mexico, which was 840 miles over 7 days. It was easily the most difficult physical challenge I had ever attempted. I pushed myself harder than I ever imagined I could. Along the way, I learned a tremendous amount and met some really great people. The staff and fellow riders were an incredible group of cyclists.

One of the things I learned with the 2009 ride was that I needed to train harder to enjoy a fast-paced cross-country bike trip - as opposed to just surviving it. I live in Bermuda - an island that is only 21 miles long and about 1 mile wide. It is difficult to get in the 350+ miles per week that you need to average to get in shape. But that is not an excuse... I just have to accept the fact that I'm going to get dizzy going around this island so many times.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Day 8 Rest Day

Today was one of our two rest days.  It was a great day here in Albuquerque NM.  I spent the day doing chores.  Cleaning and working on the bike, washing clothes and the like.  The hotel also has a pool and a sauna, which were great.  I stayed off the bike, but did walk around the area just to keep the legs moving.

I got a chance to meet Per from Denmark.  Another one of these intense athletes.  Guess I will be seeing him only at breakfast.

Just a quick couple of stories on these first seven days.  I was talking with the staff and they say that last year was the hottest and this year was the coldest.  In past years, they've had entire groups skip ahead several days.  In one instance, several riders rented a car and drove to the next state.  In another, a group of riders caught the train and skipped several days.  I certainly can appreciate that.

Tomorrow is a tough day, but it should get somewhat easier the next day.  Tomorrow is our second highest climbing day and third longest mileage.  We're headed to Las Vegas NM.  I believe it is our last day on the interstate.  Tomorrow is also the first time I will be riding a day that I didn't ride last year (I only was signed up for the first seven days last year).  From here on out, it will all be new to me.

I want to thank all of you sending e-mails and posting comments.  It means so much and helps get me through these long days.

Stayed tune for the further adventures of 14 outstanding athletes and one middle-aged actuary trying to hang on.

No comments:

Post a Comment